Monday, January 3, 2011

The Broken Chain

The month of December was jammed full with activities. In addition to getting ready for and celebrating Christmas, we had a last-minute trip to Disney, in which we watched my middle son and his Pop Warner Football team play in the Nationals. During this time, I had so many thoughts running through my head and so much I wanted to write, but never enough time to sit still and get those thoughts down on "paper".

December 24th marked the 6-month anniversary of Austin's death. I found myself, during the entire month, reflecting on the day Austin left us, playing back the events as though it was yesterday. During Christmas break I enjoyed visiting with friends and family and feeling Austin's love everywhere I went. I was able to read the accident and medical reports, and wrap my mind around and come to terms (a little more) with what happened June 24th, 2010.

Over the next couple of weeks I plan to play "catch-up" and share my experiences and thoughts with you. There is so much I want to share, I just hope I can put words to all of it. In the meantime, I am sharing with you a poem. It was printed on a picture frame I received as a Christmas gift and sums up, beautifully, the affect losing Austin had on me...and how he's always with me...

We little knew that morning that God was going to call your name.
In life we loved you dearly, in death we do the same.
It broke our hearts to lose you, you did not go alone;
For part of us went with you, the day God called you home.
You left us peaceful memories, your love is still our guide;
And though we cannot see you, you are always at our side.
Our family chain is broken, and nothing seems the same;
but as God calls us one by one, the chain will link again.
- The Broken Chain by Ron Tranmer

I look forward to sharing more in days to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment