Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I Am Blessed

"Find a way to be thankful for your troubles, and they can become your blessings." - Author Unknown

Over the past few days, as I've been following the Japan tragedy, a couple thoughts have been running through my mind. The strongest is, "I was so blessed when Austin passed away."

I know that sounds like a strange statement, so let me explain. I do not mean I was blessed that Austin died, not at all. But I was blessed (and still am) to be surrounded by family and friends to help me through the days, weeks, and months following. I was/am blessed to have a home, comfortable bed, warm shower and refrigerator full of food. I was/am blessed to have my husband, other two sons, parents, siblings, and friends by my side, grieving alongside me. I had all the pictures I needed to remember Austin and use to celebrate his life at the calling hours and funeral. I was able to give Austin a "proper" burial. I was/am blessed that the only thing I had to worry about was grieving for Austin and loving my family. All my other needs were (are) tended to. I was/am blessed to have my health. I am blessed for everything I have...


As I watch the news and videos of what is going on in Japan, my heart aches. I am so sorry for everyone affected by this tragedy - for the loss of their loved ones (for many, it's not just one, but several) and how life as they knew it has literally been turned upside down and inside out. The survivors have so much more to deal with than simply grieving for the ones that did not survive....  Many don't even know if their family and loved one(s) are alive or dead - the unknowing must be so painful and frustrating (I don't think words can even describe it). Many lost their entire family. They lost their home. Everything is in complete rubble! They have nothing but the clothes on their back. They have to worry about where to sleep and how to get food and fresh water. The chance of being exposed to radiation is a real fear. Many are injured. They have to worry about additional aftershocks, earthquakes, and/or tsunamis. There are not enough body bags or coffins for those who died. The list goes on and on and on. I cannot imagine....

And so this is how I can say "I am blessed"...

"Take five minutes and sit quietly and reflect on all the blessings in your life." - Catherine Pulsifer

No comments:

Post a Comment