Saturday, September 25, 2010

Hearing Words Differently

In a half hour I will be heading to my 12 year old son's away football game. It is a beautiful, sunny, hot September day. Yesterday was the same, except for one family and their friends in this neighboring community. Yesterday,  September 24, 2010 at 7:30am (3 months to the day and time of Austin's accident) their world was turned upside down. Their 17 year old son was killed as he rode his motorcycle to school. So today, while we're watching and enjoying an exciting game, there are many around us experiencing life much differently. There is no cheering, no sunshine for them; it is behind a huge, suffocating cloud of grief.

When I heard the news on the radio my heart sank, knowing the pain they were going through and what the next days and months would bring. Knowing that words spoken, whether by strangers, acquaintances, classmates, or friends, could be either uplifting or cruel and painful. Today, I am much more aware of how "innocent" comments and personal opinions can cause unintential pain to those around me, pain to people I don't know but that are hurting and grieving.

If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it. - Motherly advice

Today, as you're going through your day, listen to the words you and others say. Do you hear them differently?

Tomorrow or the next day, I will write on what I heard and how I felt, all from a perspective that I would not have, had it not been for a beautiful, sunny, hot June 24th day, when my life was turned upside down.

Words once spoken can never be recalled. Wentworth Dillon

2 comments:

  1. Aww, thats so heartbreaking... :-( My thoughts and prayers go out to that family and friends that are grieving, as do my prayers go out to you and yours everyday.
    *hug*
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying for hope for broken hearts.

    ReplyDelete